Endocrine Medicine programme: this is formed of four research groups from the endocrinology and paediatrics area, working on areas ranging from basic clinical care and the study of the molecular bases of the disease to the application of therapeutic solutions.
Rare diseases studied
Diseases affecting the hypophysis hormones and their target tissues, such as::
- Growth hormone (GH): Acromegaly.
- Steroid hormones: Cushing’s syndrome, familial glucocorticoid deficiency, androgen deficiency and sexual differentiation anomalies.
- Thyroid hormones: Congenital hypothyroidism, Allan-Herndon syndrome.
To study the disorders caused by hormone dysfunction connected with hypophysis and its target organs.
The most prominent groups of diseases are:
- Those with the implication of the growth hormone (GH): Acromegaly and GH deficiency.
- Those with the implication of steroid hormones: Cushing’s syndrome, familial glucocorticoid deficiency, androgen deficiency and sexual differentiation anomalies.
- Diseases with the implication of thyroid hormones: Congenital hypothyroidism and resistances to thyroid hormones, including the Allan-Herndon-Dudley syndrome.
Research groups PdI