CIBERER got under way the SPANEX project in 2015 with the following aims, based on sequencing 1000 control individuals in the Spanish population:
- Reinforcing the database of the CSVS with genomic (SNParrays) and genetic (exomes) variants of the normal population.
- Developing bioinformatic algorithms for prioritising genomic and genetic variants.
- Establishing a reference population, with a number of selected controls useful for susceptibility studies, segregation of haplotypes, etc.
- Allowing a prospective correlation between the DNA sequencing data for expression in the form of RNA and proteins in a large cohort of healthy controls.
- Providing training in genomic medicine for the scientific community and openly sharing the data with this group.